I am sure you have heard and may be sick of hearing at this point, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But it really is, especially if you suffer from a thyroid condition or an autoimmune disease. Starting your day off with a balanced and low-inflammatory breakfast recipe can help balance blood sugar levels which is an important part of supporting the thyroid. Skipping breakfast can cause an imbalance in blood sugar which can be problematic, not just for your thyroid but your mood as well. I know I turn into a monster when I skip breakfast and go through my morning with low blood sugar!
Even worse, eating a breakfast full of sugar, and refined carbs can also cause thyroid trouble. Studies have shown that having frequent insulin spikes can cause damage to the thyroid in those who suffer from an autoimmune thyroid disease. When this occurs, the production of thyroid hormones will also suffer, and so may the people around you. While high blood sugar from too many refined and processed carbs can cause issues, having low blood sugar by skipping breakfast can also negatively impact the thyroid while also causing issues with the adrenal glands and the gut. This is why eating a well-balanced breakfast as your very first meal of the day is so important for thyroid health. Not only that, but breakfast can also be a time to add in a boost of nutrition with low-inflammatory foods.
So, we know that breakfast is important, but as a Functional Medicine Doctor, I often have patients ask me what I have for breakfast, and what I recommend. Just like many of my patients, I also suffered from an undiagnosed thyroid condition for many years, so I like to start my day with the same foods I recommend my patients do. I always recommend some source of clean protein, healthy fat, and a complex carbohydrate to give your metabolism a boost, support energy levels, and nourish the thyroid. I also love to add in at least one anti-inflammatory food to start my day as reducing inflammation in the body is key to supporting not only thyroid health but the health of our entire body.
I want to share my top five quick and easy low-inflammatory breakfast recipes that support the thyroid and give you that morning boost of energy you need to power through your day.
These recipes are:
• Refined sugar-free
Eggs with Sautéed Shallots & Greens
- 1 whole organic pasture-raised egg
- 1 organic pasture-raised egg yolk
- 1 cup of collard greens or spinach chopped
- Chopped shallot to taste
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Pinch of pink Himalaya sea salt
- Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat with coconut oil.
- Add the eggs and cook over easy or to your liking. This recipe is also great served as an omelet.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and add additional coconut oil. Sauté the collard greens and shallots for 5-7 minutes until the collards are wilted and the shallots have started to caramelize.
- Serve the sautéed greens with the eggs and season with a pinch of salt.
- Enjoy while warm.
Optimal Health Low-Inflammatory Smoothie
- 1 cup of full-fat unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- ½ plantain
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- 1 serving of vanilla paleo protein powder (found in my store)
- Simply add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy right away.
Coconut Cream Bowl with Fresh Berries
- ½ cup of full-fat unsweetened coconut cream if you can't find coconut cream, just use the creamy/solid portion at the top of a full-fat unsweetened coconut milk can and save the liquid portion for smoothies.
- ½ cup of fresh berries of choice
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. slivered almonds
- Start by adding the coconut cream to a serving bowl and top with the fresh berries, chia seeds, and slivered almonds.
- Enjoy right away or pack with you to bring to work as an on the go breakfast.
Quick and Easy Coconut Flour Pancakes
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 organic pasture-raised eggs
- 2 heaping tablespoons of coconut flour
- Dash of cinnamon
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat with the coconut oil.
- Add the banana to a mixing bowl and mash. Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the preheated skillet at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side of until lightly brown.
- Continue this process until you have used all the batter.
- Enjoy with an extra slab of coconut oil or unsweetened coconut butter if desired.
Anti-inflammatory Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 cup of full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 serving of optimal reset vanilla cleanse powder
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of ground cinnamon if desired.
- Enjoy right away.
My Paleo Protein Powder is an amazing addition to any smoothie. It comes in chocolate or vanilla and offers hydro-beef and bone broth protein for optimal support to the gut and the body.
If you are suffering from weight gain, fatigue, hair loss and more, click here to schedule a phone call with me, so I can find out where you’ve been, where you want to get to, and how I can help you get there.
I know exactly where you are because I’ve been there myself…I remember being so tired that I could barely function. I gained 30 pounds out of nowhere and had a severe case of brain fog. I also started to get severe anxiety and panic attacks. I was driven and motivated…until I wasn’t. I didn’t know what was happening to me. All I wanted was to get my life back…
Finally, I learned about functional medicine and found a practitioner that I hoped could help me. They ran specialized tests that were far different than I had ever had before. When I got the results back, it turned out I had candida, parasites, high cortisol, the Epstein Bar Virus and many food intolerances. I also had an issue with my thyroid that no one found before because they were using the conventional medicine lab ranges which are way too broad….which I now know is one of the leading causes of hypothyroid misdiagnosis.
I went through treatment of all of these things and it completely changed my life. I immediately lost the 30 pounds I had gained plus more, I had a lot more energy, and my brain fog was gone. I felt amazing and knew that I wanted to help people find the underlying causes of their symptoms and disease.
Kresser. Thyroid, Blood Sugar, and Metabolic Syndrome.