You’ve made some lifestyle changes to improve your thyroid condition, yet your symptoms are not budging. You want to know why. I hear you. Let me take off the detective work off your shoulder.
The missing problem may be too much estrogen in your body. You may not be aware that one of the contributing factors of your thyroid disease is another hormonal issue, estrogen dominance. Once you understand this, you can finally address the root cause and support your thyroid naturally.
In this article, you will learn about estrogen dominance. You will understand its symptoms, its main causes, and its connection to thyroid disease. I will share with you my top tips to resolve estrogen dominance and thyroid disease naturally.
What Is Estrogen Dominance
Estrogen and progesterone are the two primary female sex hormones. Under healthy circumstances, they work together in a healthy rhythm and are responsible for your female cycle. Together with your thyroid and adrenal hormones, they are critical for your hormonal health.
Even though estrogen and progesterone are sex hormones, they are responsible for much more than reproductive health. Estrogen is critical for the reproductive cycle and childbearing in women, but it’s also important for bone health, healthy levels of cholesterol, brain health, mood, metabolism, skin health, thyroid health, and overall hormonal function. Progesterone helps to lower inflammation, balance the nervous system, and stimulate your thyroid hormone. When your estrogen and progesterone levels get out of balance it affects your entire body.
Estrogen dominance happens when estrogen and progesterone get out of balance. This may happen because your body is making too much estrogen resulting in estrogen excess. In other cases, progesterone levels drop too low leading to imbalance and estrogen dominance. In both cases, estrogen becomes the dominant hormone resulting in a variety of symptoms (1).
Symptoms of estrogen dominance include:
- Pre-menstrual symptoms (PMS)
- Weight gain
- Hot flashes
- Menstrual cramps
- Decreased libido
- Depression and mood imbalance
- Excessive menstruation
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibroids
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Tender breasts
- Brain fog
- Insulin resistance
- Thyroid problems
Estrogen Dominance and Thyroid Disease
Your body is a holistic system. Nothing happens in isolation. It’s not surprising that when one hormone is out of balance, it affects other hormones as well. Estrogen dominance can affect your thyroid hormones and contribute to Hashimoto’s disease, thyroid cancer, and other thyroid conditions (2, 3).
Your body is always seeking balance. Estrogen and progesterone work the opposite of each other to achieve this equilibrium, which means that they also affect your thyroid hormones in the opposite way. While estrogen helps to suppress the thyroid hormone, progesterone stimulates it. If your body has too much estrogen and too little progesterone, it can lead to overstimulation and overproduction of thyroid hormone resulting in hypothyroidism.
Researchers have found that excess estrogen may lead to the elevation of the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroid antibodies. Too much estrogen may also increase inflammation, compromise your immune system, and increase the production of anti-thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) antibodies contributing to autoimmune thyroid conditions, such as Hashimoto’s disease (4, 5).
Main Causes of Estrogen Dominance
Estrogen dominance may be caused by a number of dietary, lifestyle, and environmental factors. Let’s look at some of the top contributing factors.
One of the top causes of estrogen dominance is diet. Commercially raised animal products have been injected with hormones and non-organic conventional produce is full of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. Packaged processed foods are high in artificial ingredients and chemicals. These hormones, pesticides, and other chemicals are endocrine disruptors that can seriously interfere with your hormonal health (6).
In a healthy gut microbiome, an enzyme called beta-glucuronidase helps to regulate circulating estrogen in your body. If your gut flora is out of balance, these enzymes won’t be able to metabolize estrogen efficiently increasing your risk of estrogen dominance and related issues (7).
Cleaning and Personal Care Products
Conventional cleaning products, soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, lotions, and cosmetics are loaded with chemicals. Parabens, phthalates, and other common compounds in these products all have estrogen activity and can lead to estrogen dominance (8).
BPA and Plastics
From water bottles to food and storage containers, plastics are everywhere. Unfortunately, these plastics contain hormone-mimicking xenoestrogens that can disrupt your hormonal balance and lead to estrogen dominance (9).
Municipal tap water, aluminum pots and pans, old paint residue, dental amalgam fillings, and conventional cosmetics are places where heavy metals may hide. Mercury, lead, cadmium and other heavy metals, however, all possess estrogen-mimicking and endocrine-disrupting properties. (10).
Your body fat is the place where estrogen xenoestrogens get absorbed and stored. Excess estrogen also urges your body to create more fat cells further feeding into the cycle of excess fat and estrogen dominance (11).
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and Birth Control
Oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy medication contain a lot of synthetic estrogens. Without the necessary progesterone to balance it out, taking such medication increases imbalance and the risk of estrogen dominance.
When you are chronically stressed, your body produces excess cortisol to try to respond to and cope with the constant stress. Progesterone is the precursor of cortisol and increased demand for cortisol can result in estrogen dominance and hormonal imbalance (12, 13).
Natural Solutions for Estrogen Dominance and Thyroid Disease
Estrogen dominance and thyroid disease are certainly concerning. The good news is that you can reduce estrogen dominance and repair thyroid issues naturally by following a few simple steps.
Improve Your Food
Eliminate inflammatory foods that may contain hidden estrogens, including conventional meat and dairy and non-organic food. Choose organic, hormone-free, grass-fed, and pasture-raised animal products and organic produce free from pesticides and fertilizers.
Reduce Chemical Exposure
Remove conventional cleaning and beauty products and use organic, natural, and homemade products instead. Replace plastic with glass or stainless steel bottles and containers. Filter your water.
Lower your stress levels. Get 7 to 9 hours of sleep at night. Try yoga, meditation, breathwork, journaling, relaxation exercises to cope with stress better. Surround yourself with positive people and activities.
Take a Liver Support Supplement
Try Optimal Reset Liver Love. This supplement is a powerful blend of botanical and mushroom extracts and N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC), a derivative of the amino acid cysteine. It supports healthy liver function and allows optimal estrogen detoxification.
Take a Thyroid Support Supplement
For thyroid-support, I recommend Optimal Reset Ultimate Thyroid Support. This supplement was designed to support your thyroid with the help of non-stimulating adaptogenic botanical American ginseng and essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
Try a 30-Day Thyroid Reset
The 30-day Thyroid Reset Plan is an all-natural treatment plan, which includes a highly effective and easy-to-follow 30-day reset diet with foods that resolve estrogen dominance and support healthy thyroid function. My book, The 30-Day Thyroid Reset Plan: Disarming the 7 Hidden Triggers That are Keeping You Sick, outlines this plan carefully. It also includes dozens of delicious thyroid-supporting recipes.
Get the Thyroid Reset Kit
If you are serious about your thyroid health, I recommend my Thyroid Reset Kit. This bundle includes a copy of The 30-Day Thyroid Reset Plan, Liver Love, Ultimate Thyroid Support, a thyroid-friendly Paleo Protein Shake, and topical thyroid-supporting Glutathione Plus.
Thyroid problems are on a rise. In order to repair your body and improve your thyroid health, you need to tackle one of its root causes, estrogen dominance. Following The 30-Day Thyroid Reset Plan and using appropriate supplements can help you to regain your health naturally.
If you are dealing with thyroid problems, I invite you to schedule a consultation with me. I can help to identify the root cause of your condition and recommend a personalized treatment plan to repair your body and regain your health and well-being. Schedule your consultation here.
- What does estrogen do? Link Here
- Arduc A, Aycicek Dogan B, Bilmez S Imga Nasirouglu N, Tuna MM, Isik S, Berker D, Guler S. High prevalence of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome: does the imbalance between estradiol and progesterone play a role? Endocrine Research. 2015;40(4):204-210. PMID: 25822940
- Manole D, Schildknecht B, Gosnell B, Adams E, Derwahl M. Estrogen Promotes Growth of Human Thyroid Tumor Cells by Different Molecular Mechanisms 1. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2001;86(3):1072-1077. Link Here
- Sathi P, Kalyan S, Hitchcock CL, Pudek M, Prior JC. Progesterone therapy increases free thyroxine levels – Data from a randomized placebo-controlled 12-week hot flush trial. Clinical Endocrinology. 2013;79(2):282-7. Link Here
- Wang SH, Myc A, Koenig RJ, Bretz JD, Arscott PL, Baker JR. 2-methoxyestradiol, and exogenous estrogen metabolite, induces thyroid cell apoptosis. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology.2000;165(1-2):163-72 Link Here
- Mnif W, Hassine AI, Bouaziz A, Bartegi A, Thomas O, Roig B. Effect of endocrine disruptor pesticides: a review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011 Jun;8(6):2265-303. doi: 10.3390/ijerph8062265. Epub 2011 Jun 17. PMID: 21776230
- Kwa M, Plottel CS, Blaser MJ, Adams S. The Intestinal Microbiome and Estrogen Receptor-Positive Female Breast Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Apr 22;108(8):djw029. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djw029. PMID: 27107051
- Golden R. A review of the endocrine activity of parabens and implications for potential risks to human health. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2005 Jun;35(5):435-58. PMID: 16097138
- Bittner GD, Yang CZ, Stoner MA. Estrogenic chemicals often leach from BPA-free plastic products that are replacements for BPA-containing polycarbonate products. Environ Health. 2014 May 28;13(1):41. doi: 10.1186/1476-069X-13-41. PMID: 24886603
- Dyer CA. Heavy metals as endocrine-disrupting chemicals. Link Here
- 5 hidden but common causes of estrogen dominance revealed. World Health. Link Here
- Cortisol: The cortisol-stress connection & pregnenolone steel. Compounding Lab. Link Here
- Herrera AY, Nielsen SE, Mather M. Stress-induced increases in progesterone and cortisol in naturally cycling women. Neurobiol Stress. 2016 Feb 11;3:96-104. doi: 10.1016/j.ynstr.2016.02.006. PMID: 27981182