Cabbage is one of those veggies that isn’t often included in the diet because it’s not something that many people know how to cook or what recipes to add it to! I also didn’t know how to add it to my diet until I started experimenting with recipes like this roasted cabbage and sausage recipe I am sharing with you today.
But, did you know that purple cabbage is full of vitamin C? This means that it is a tasty way to support your immune system. It’s also super easy to cook and tastes delicious when paired with a protein and healthy fat.
Not only that, but purple cabbage is also full of phytonutrients which help reduce inflammation which is essential for overall health.
Cabbage is also excellent for digestive health because you can ferment this beautiful cruciferous veggie to make it a probiotic for the gut.
So what are you waiting for? Are you ready to add some cabbage to your diet?
Here is a roasted cabbage and sausage recipe that takes under an hour to make and makes a delicious side dish packed full of nutrition.
Roasted Cabbage & Sausage
- 1 head of red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. of organic turkey sausage sliced
- 1 pinch of salt & pepper
- Freshly chopped herbs of choice thyme or rosemary works well
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the chopped cabbage, olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs to a mixing bowl and toss well.
- Transfer the cabbage to the baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted.
- While the cabbage is cooking, preheat a medium skillet over medium heat with the coconut oil.
- Cook the sausage for about 10 minutes.
- When the cabbage is just about finished cooking (5-10 minutes left) add the cooked sausage to the oven.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and enjoy!