An estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. Out of those 20 million, 60% do not even know they have it. Many people walk around with symptoms like:
- Hair Loss
- High cholesterol
- Unexplained weight gain
- Muscle aches, often in shoulders and hips
- Joint pain
- Feeling cold
- Difficulty becoming pregnant
- A pale, puffy face
And just think that it is normal!
Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid and an estimated 90% of hypothyroid patients have Hashimoto’s.
It is hard to know what has caused Hashimoto’s in each patient because it can be a different cause for everyone. Thyroid medication alone is not enough to treat Hashimoto’s. This is why most people taking thyroid medication do not feel like it is helping them. Underlying triggers such as gut infections, HPA-axis dysfunction, blood sugar imbalance, food sensitivities, hormone imbalance, heavy metal toxicity and other contributing factors, must be addressed in order to keep Hashimoto’s at bay.
Many people write me and ask what I do for Hashimoto’s, and many other issues, so I have decided to write this post with the exact details to answer these questions.
How Our Office Works
Phase One: The Initial Consult
The initial phone consult is the first step for all new patients. Identifying the underlying patterns contributing to disease is the key to a successful and lasting outcome. The initial consult serves several purposes. It enables me to more accurately estimate how long your treatment program will last, what testing will need to be done to evaluate your condition very thoroughly, what it will include and how much it will cost. It gives you the chance to ask any questions you may have about your condition and what you should expect. And it provides an opportunity for us to get to know each other, and determine if our clinic is a good fit for you over the long-term.
The exact lab testing ordered after the Initial Consult depends on your individual circumstances, but may include:
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including several types of anemia; gut, viral and bacterial infections; insulin resistance and hypoglycemia; liver and kidney issues; and thyroid and adrenal problems. It offers important clues for how to structure and focus your treatment to get the best results. And it provides a baseline of biomarkers that can be used to objectively track the progress of your treatment over time.
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease, and gluten sensitivity.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria, since the majority of your immune system lies in your gut.
- Urine organic acids testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, fungal overgrowth, problems metabolizing fat or carbohydrate, B-vitamin status, methylation issues, detoxification capacity, oxidative stress, and neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Urine hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status.
- Other tests may be ordered, depending on your case, which can identify other triggers like heavy metal toxicity and biotoxin illness.
At the initial consult I will also provide you with a 30 day Hashimoto’s reset diet to help start the healing process immediately and remove foods you may be reacting to.
Phase Two: The Case Review
The Case Review Consultation is a 60-75 minute phone, or video appointment. Prior to the consultation, I will review the results from the labs that were ordered. Then I will create a Report of Findings, which is broken into three parts:
- A summary of the underlying patterns that are contributing to your symptoms.
- An outline of the suggested treatment plan, including dietary, supplement and lifestyle recommendations.
- Recommendations for further testing (this will typically be minimal, if necessary at all, because of the completeness of the Case Review process)
I have decided to have a virtual office so that I may help people that are located all over the US and keep the care plan cost as low as possible. Most patients find it very convenient to get on a phone or video conference and avoid driving and long wait times in an office.
Insurance Coverage/Cost of Care
Some of the testing I recommend will be covered by most insurance plans and others will be an out of pocket expense. I will let you know the exact details of what you should expect once I decide what testing will be necessary.
While there is no cure for Hashimoto’s, I can tell you that I have a very high success rate of helping patients feel their best and I will work as hard as I can to help you find out what your underlying causes of disease and symptoms are. Hashimoto’s can be helped greatly when finding out what an individual’s underlying causes are. Getting the disease to go into remission can give you back your quality of life and make you feel like yourself again.
Other conditions I work with include, but are not limited to:
- Adrenal disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic fatigue
- Chronic infections
- Digestive disorders (IBD, IBS, GERD/Reflux)
- Elevated cholesterol
- Environmental and food allergies
- Female disorders (PMS, Menopause, Infertility, PCOS)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Mercury and heavy metal toxicity
- Metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance
- Migraines and headaches
- MS (Multiple Sclerosis)
- Overweight and obesity
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
- Thyroid disorders
I look forward to speaking with you!